9.5kw shower 30 amp rewireable fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my 9.5kw shower packed in the other day and i was going to replace it like for like but have since noticed that electrics are not suitable for that high a shower ie 6mm cable and only a 30amp rewireable fuse (although it has worked fine since moving into flat 4 years ago) so have decided just to fit a cheap 7.5kw shower in meantime until i can afford to get it rewired with 10mm cable and a new consumer unit. question is that when i removed the fuse holder it was scorched a bit will it still be alright to reuse after fitting a new fuse wire?

Sponsored Links
No.

You must get your wiring tested at the earliest opportunity.

Your wiring complies with regs that were released about 40 years ago. It almost certainly will not comply with today's regs.

Your shower is probably not RCD protected - this could save your life.

The shower you fitted is still over 30 amps.

And the scorching on the fuse holder indicates the contacts will be worn. Heat damages them and makes them less springy, making loose connections and more heat and more looseness, and more heat, until

07112006291.jpg

od2.jpg

etc.

Just why were so many showers rated at 8 and 9 kW wired on a 30amp fuse?? - was it because the old regs at that time permitted such an arrangement - or is it just pure co-incidence that vast numbers of showers were run off 30amp fuses regardless of rating... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just why were so many showers rated at 8 and 9 kW wired on a 30amp fuse?? - was it because the old regs at that time permitted such an arrangement - or is it just pure co-incidence that vast numbers of showers were run off 30amp fuses regardless of rating... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes Bad workmanship prevails on many Shower circuits... Sometimes it is due to a Shower unit swap with one of a higher rating without any consideration of desgn current etc [Plumbers & DIYers spring to mind]

Sponsored Links
shower seem to have gotten more and more powerful over the years, my parents original was only a 6K (from Texas, the diy chain if anyone remembers them) which works out about 26A and most were of a similay power, now 7.5Kw is quite small for a shower.

the probelms occur when a shower breaks, or a bathroom is done up, and the shower gets replaced for a newer, more powerful model and nobody bothering/knowing it needs to change for a larger supply.

Incidentally, my parents house supply was only on a 40A fuse for a long time, it wasnt until my sister was in the new (10.5K) shower, the washer was on as well as the dishwasher, amongst the normal household load that the main fuse upped and died.

edit, damn need to type faster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back