A logical approach to sound insulation, floors + walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have seen many threads with people asking about sound insulation but its usually for retrospective measures when they run into problems.

I'm having a double storey extension built soon and want to take measures to maximise sound insulation for internal walls and floors.

So my question is, with no expense spared (so I can see all the options) how would you design/build floors and internal walls to minimise sound pollution?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
In a nutshell ;)

Masonry walls of brick or concrete block, stud walls to be staggered with full fill mineral wool in between. Double boarding on at least one side. Or use 15mm plank.

Floors: separate joists for floor/ceiling, failing that, hang ceilings from resilient bar, rockwool in floor voids, double boarding underneath. Upper floors boarded with min 22mm chipboard, no gaps, thick underlay and carpeted.

Windows upgraded to thicker panes or triple glazed, all doors to be closely fitting, fire doors are preferable.

Thanks Deluks. A few questions please?

1) Walls.

Would a single brick (or block) wall always outperform a stud wall filled with acoustic wool? If so is there any reason not to have such walls even on the first floor?

When you say 'double boarding' do you just mean two layers of plaster board straight on top of each other or with some kind of gap?

2) Floors

I presume separate joists for floors and ceilings would mean an additional loss of about 3 inches in head height for the room below?

How much head height loss would resilient bars cause?

Thanks again for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back