A question about guttering...........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would like to ask a question about guttering. Hopefully there are some experts around here! I would like to block the middle of some guttering and take it out as and when I need more water on one side of my conservatory. Can you do this with an Internal stop end - do they fit into guttering or just at the ends. Or is there anything that will enable me to do this? I will be fitting new guttering so there is not a specific size just yet. I hope you will be able to answer my question. Thank you, coinop.

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to have a union joint where you need the block, and take it off and put a stopend on either side when you want to divert.

Even easier - a polythene bag with some sand in - just drop it in the gutter wherever you want to.

What will happen to the water in the gutter on the other side of where it will be blocked?

Sponsored Links
What will happen to the water in the gutter on the other side of where it will be blocked?

One side goes to a water butt and the other side goes to a drain. I can only fit the butt at the opposite end as the drain side is very narrow (10cm ish). It has been going into the butt all summer but now it keeps overflowing and the side of the conservatory will get damp.

Yes, but presumably the gutter only falls one way, so if you stop it off at some point, then wont there be potential for the water to overflow the other side?

Yes, but presumably the gutter only falls one way, so if you stop it off at some point, then wont there be potential for the water to overflow the other side?

Not if the guttering is almost level and has a hole at each end. Water will always find a way down. Does that make sense? Maybe a sandbag is my only option :( Shame as I wanted it to look good and not makeshift.

In that case, then just drop a tennis or other rubber ball into the outlet. This seems to work well on many other roofs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back