A reasonably priced mattress which wouldn't need replacing..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A year ago I bought a new argos bed and mattress for the spare room which is being rented out. The new tenant of the room is now requesting a new mattress as the springs on it have already gone funny.

I want to buy a new mattress for the room which is reasonably priced (not more than 140 gbp) and would not need replacing so quickly. I am looking to avoid mattresses with coils as I feel they are more delicate. I ordered a futon mattress but the new housemate didnt like it. Anyone here have any experience of 'memory foam' or latex mattresses? In particular there is an ebay auction for a blulatex claiming it is better than latex. Any experience of this? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
"Which" recently did a test of mattresses, IIRC they liked the John Lewis one that is sold rolled up so you can carry it home

at the moment their website is not working for the best buys table.

It looks like the Memory foam ones will be a lot more expensive than your budget

I hope you will not be offended if I say that some Argos stuff is cheap rubbish.

I don't know. I managed to access the Which Memory Foam test and their best buys were:

Healthbeds
Memory Flex £450.00

Body Impressions
Spa Sensations £499.00

Sleepshaper
Memory Regular Feel £629.00

Kaymed
Classic Original £650.00

these are "typical prices" since RRP are only used as a joke in the bed trade

the "not best buys" were in the £200 - £250 range

BTW I bought my beds from an old friend who owns a furniture business, he uses Slumberland in his house so I got them. He says the difference between the cheaper and more expensive Slumberlands is mostly in the fancy fabric coverings (which you never see) and the padding on the top. The spring part is sort of knitted from spring wire. The most expensive ones do have more springs though. I got a cheap brand for the spare room and it is nowhere near as good.

A Firm-edge base means the mattress is less damaged when people sit on the bed.

Sponsored Links
JohnD: Thanks for the Which report details. From my quick search on the net it appears that the RPI is the price they are being marketed at. At this point, I dont want to spend too much, as one of the previous tenants had back issues and brought her own mattress with her, and I can also understand that even if the quality was ok, in a few years, the mattresses will stain and it would be nicer to buy brand new again.

There are some slumberland mattresses on ebay for £190 inc postage. There is also a memory foam mattress for £110 which is offering a 10 year guarantee. I might ask the tenant which she prefers. Thank you very much for your help.

I have the memory deluxe foam but as JohnD mention it's the price but Benson's Bed do 0% finance over 3yrs if that's any help.

It may be worth checking out what Ikea have to offer. Their mattresses are very reasonably priced and come with a good guarantee. Just beware of the sizes which may vary from UK standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back