A Rip Off Attempt?

S

Shutpa

Last Sunday a guy of 80 reversed his trailer towards my car and two scaffolding pipes he was carrying scratched my wing and bonnet. He put his hands up and said that because he had a £400 excess he would rather I didn't go through the insurance. Get two quotes he said and at the same time recommending a small out of town firm.

On Tuesday, I got the quotes, one for £390 from a large firm in the town, and the other for £450 from the small out of town firm. Took the quotes up to his house and he handed me the £390 cash. I booked the car in to have the repair done.

This afternoon, I was in the shed and came across a jar of white stuff with a cheese cloth inside. A quick smell told me that it was an abrasive paste and less than 10 minutes later the scratches had completely gone.

Would the body shops have known that it was easy as this or not?

Sponsored Links
If only all moral dilemmas were this simple. £390 enjoy!

Behave yourself Eddie, it's not my cash to enjoy. Am just going to phone him up to tell him to get the kettle on and I'll give him his cash back!

OH, I wouldn't give it al back, maybe half.

There could b further hidden damage that needs fixing with beer :D

Sponsored Links

Behave yourself Eddie, it's not my cash to enjoy. Am just going to phone him up to tell him to get the kettle on and I'll give him his cash back!
All praise to you Bolo, if only more people showed the same honesty, life would be so more enjoyable.

Wotan

The first thing my 12 year old said when I told her about the 'repair' was "You will give him his money back Dad, wont you?" Mrs B said exactly the same thing and I never thought otherwise.

It got better. Called in for the cuppa and gave him the receipt that he had asked for in a sealed envelope just before I left. The envelope contained not a receipt, but a cheque for £390. I am just waiting for the phone to ring.

Oh, and FWIW,

A car insurance excess is not payable when a third party is claiming from you, it only applies when you make a claim against your own insurace ... ie. for the damage to your own vehicle from an accident, or theft or fire of it etc

A car insurance excess is not payable when a third party is claiming from you, it only applies when you make a claim against your own insurance ...

If you don't take it through your own insurance, then thats obviously true.

But if the third party claim goes through your insurance then...

If its not your fault....... Your insurance provider can waive the excess, meaning that the claim will be paid in full. However, check the terms of your policy as this is not always the case.

If its deemed to be your fault...... You pay the excess.

Oh, and FWIW,

A car insurance excess is not payable when a third party is claiming from you, it only applies when you make a claim against your own insurace ... ie. for the damage to your own vehicle from an accident, or theft or fire of it etc

That, if it is true, is a very good piece of advice which I shall pass on to my 80 year old friend!

Fair play to you Bolo. Your story has made me feel a little brighter tonite. You don't fancy standing as our local MP do ya?

:) :)

good on you...

shame we seem to be running out of honest people in some places, but not here it would seem.

Sponsored Links
Back