aaaaarrrrgggghhh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, looking for some advice with regard to my chimney breast. I have recently been preparing my room for decorating with the need for the floor leveling (done with latex self leveling compound) but when taking paper off the walls found a hole behind a board that i initially thought was to cover bad plastering job. Apparently the guy who did ithad a horn for fishtanks with live cables & water piped into the chimney breast. The MAIN problem I have is there is NO lintel installed. There is however a wooden 2x3 frame in the brickwork no apparent moment in the brickwork.

Pics uploaded on here so all commeits gratefully received.[/img][/list]

Sponsored Links
Can't see enough from the photo to make a meaningful assessment. Is that a proper masonry chimney breast or an added on thing just to create the alcoves?

Cheers John & yes its a proper chimney breast. House is nearly 120 years old & has suffered from poor foundations as a lot of Victorian houses but the general condition ain't bad. Had new floor put in kitchen after old one was found to be above old DPC. At present the timber in the chimney breast seems to hold no weight but is only lipped on to the brick by 3/4 of an inch. getting worried its gonna be expensive & very time consuming. I'll try to get some more pics soon.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back