Access Hatch in Laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If, as I suspect, I have to cut a service hatch through laminate flooring to access the central heating drain off tap what is the best way of doing it that will cause least damage and need the least work please?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it was me I would probably try to route out a hatch using the finest router bit I could find and a jig to make sure I cut out a square/rectangular/whatever shape you want hole. I would then frame the hole and the hatch with some 'L' shaped wood trim to give it a finished effect (hinged in necessary/possible).

The only downside to this would be if it is in a high traffic area it would pose a trip hazard - in which case I would then recess the wood in to the laminate to try and prevent this (alternative is to use aluminium trim)

Many thanks for your help. Is the rotazip any good and is it still available?

The area is under the dishwasher so it should be OK.

Cheers

heeelllooo s b and welcome

are you shure where the joists are you will need to take them into consideration i take it your talking about an arm sized hatch rather than a body sized hatch ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi yes it will be an arm sized hatch. As to the, joists it is a floating floor in a ground floor flat so I was planning to cut to a depth that just cut through the laminate then cut the flooring sheets and take it from there. I would then have to provides supprt for the hatch as it is unlikely that I could be so lucky as to pick up on the 'joists'.

Thanks for the help.

not so confident as you about missing the joists
if you do hit a joist dead centre that renders tha hatch unusable what then
suggest you try and locate the joists you can try lifting door strips and pushing somthing thin between the floor boards to locate a joist dependant on having a joint and not having t and g flooring

Sandy Beech said:
The area is under the dishwasher so it should be OK.
A bit awkward under the dishwasher if you need to get to it. Is it not possible to extend the stopcock to the outside wall ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back