Accurately cutting shelves for an alcove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a bookcase in a square alcove that isn't terribly square - it's out by + / - 10mm horizontally and vertically.

My question is - what is the easiest way to fit shelves accurately in a recess where the walls either side and at the back are so out of true?

Sponsored Links
D - are you just fitting shelves to this alcove or are you building a bookcase (a rectangular or square box with shelves) that will stand in the alcove?

Shelves = vary the length of each one to accommodate it's position up the wall. Tip - don't use a tape measure to get wall to wall distances, use a 'rod' - 2 lengths of loose timber which, whilst being held together in one hand, are slid apart to touch the walls. Transfer this 'measure' onto the shelving material. Work well for heights too.

Standalone bookcase = make it slightly smaller than the alcove then cover the gaps with a facing strips which have been scribed to the walls. Or cut away offending plaster to accept a full-size box.

I find my Talmeter rule very useful, but you do have to be careful to read the correct figure, internal or external, depending which measurement you want. Of course, if you use it for direct marking no such confusion applies.

Interesting to see there's now a UK site for Talmeter.

Sponsored Links
I find my Talmeter rule very useful, but you do have to be careful to read the correct figure, internal or external, depending which measurement you want. Of course, if you use it for direct marking no such confusion applies.

Interesting to see there's now a UK site for Talmeter.

Very true, I don't mind admitting I have been caught out a couple of times :oops: :confused:

But for direct marking it is spot on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back