acer aspire 5810T power cord replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Looking for a little advice. My dog just chewed through my power cord. Need a new one. It is an acer aspire 5810T

Went on acer website and replacement £75.00 There is
this i have cut and pasted from amazon below: Would it be ok? compatible? safe? Its £12.99

ACER ASPIRE 1640 1640Z 3935 3810T 4810 4810T 5410T 5810T 5332 5335 5050 5515 compatible replacement Laptop Charger AC Adapter Adaptor PSU (Supplied by Cambridge Accessories - includes UK P/cord & 12 month warranty) - "Laptop Power UK" (TM) Branded Laptop Charger
by Acer

Dispatched from and sold by Cambridge Accessories.

Thank you very much for you help.
Poppy

Sponsored Links
From the Acer website:
image-LC-ADT00-043-view-1.png

Which lead? If it was the mains lead, these are standard:

qn62.jpg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29240

I have a nasty feeling though that it is the other end (between the adaptor and the computer). I have heard of scare stories that third-party adaptors can damage the laptop. I don't know...

yea its the AC adapter not the power cord which are cheap and available. I have also heard the scare stories regarding using a 3rd party adapter, but at £74 for the original part from Acer I have to consider third party options such as the one linked below (sorry the link in my original post is not a link -sorry im new to forums and just learning how they work)

Any help/opinions on the third party linked would be greatly appreciated

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Cha...1_2?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1291812099&sr=8-2

Cheap and nasty ones are, unfortunately, cheap and nasty. However it's definitely not worth paying £75 for a new one (I didn't pay anywhere near that for a Lenovo, and they're generally a lot more expensive than Acer..).

If I were you I'd look for a second hand one on ebay, alternatively see what Acer want for a spare for some other models of laptop (Which probably use the same charger).

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Acer want a similar price for all models of timelines and others that use the same connectors.......if i have to pay i have to pay if the general view is that the linked one on amazon is potentially damaging to the laptop

I will definitely look on ebay for a genuine one.

Has anyone used the cheaper ones?

Why not try cutting the cable where the dog chewed it and see if you can strip back the insulation and use crimps to connect up the correct coloured wires again to see if the transformer is still working.
http://www.davico-industrial.ltd.uk/product.asp?id=10&ref=396

You could use a pair of pliers or side cutters to grip the crimp and clamp the wires in.

dave

Dave really appreciate the suggestion but hate to play the woman card - i can barely change a fuse on a plug let alone attempt your suggestion - wish i had those skills and confidence to try such a thing. just want to buy something that will plug in and charge my battery and not damage the laptop. thanks for your time

Hi there,

If your not confident with this task of repairing then goto your local PC shop and take it in there. I am sure they will fix this for as little as £10.

The cheap packs are indeed cheap, if you go that route I would advise being 100% sure on the power spec of the original pack.

Try your local PC shop first or an electrical shop.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Back