Adding a rad directly to the flow/return pipes from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a first time poster looking for a bit of advice please.

I'm looking to have a radiator installed in my utility room which is adjacent to the kitchen that contains the gas central heating boiler. Unfortunately the nearest CH pipes running to the radiator in the kitchen run nowhere near the utility room.

I've been advised that the easiest (and most cost-effective option) would be to add the new radiator directly to the flow and return pipes coming (and going) from the boiler before they split into the CH and hot water upstairs (as the boiler is mounted on the wall the kitchen shares with the utility).

I've been told the only caveat is that the radiator would heat up whenever the hot water was on as well as when the central heating is active which is not particularly an issue as I could just turn the rad off during the warmer months.

My question is - is there any reason not to proceed this way and could this setup introduce any problems into my existing CH and hot water system?

Thank you in advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
doesnt really confortm to Part L1 either IMHO

not the best idea in the world but it wouldnt "harm" the system as such

where is your pump?? do you have a system boiler??
if you tee in before the pump you could create a nice bit of circulation that doesn't include your boiler :confused:
also coming in after the tee from the hw cylinder can cause reverse circulation. all in all its not as simple as it may seem!

If the pump is upstairs, don't bother as it wont work, It'll just make the boiler extra noisey.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to all those who’ve posted their advice.

To answer the specific question of where the pump is located - the pump and the hot water cylinder are both located in the upstairs bathroom which is above the kitchen housing the boiler - how does this affect the situation? (If it's of any use for extra info the house is a traditional two-up, two-down Victorian terrace with the utility room added on at some point after the house was originally built).

It's been suggested to me that using a lockshield valve that is barely open will mean that the new radiator will heat up at roughly the same rate as the other rads and prevent the new rad acting like a short-circuit and depriving the other rads of heat - thoughts?

It will not work if you tee in before the pump.

At best you will get a circulation through the rad which could by=pass the boiler.

I'm looking to have a radiator installed in my utility room which is adjacent to the kitchen that contains the gas central heating boiler.

and

the pump and the hot water cylinder are both located in the upstairs bathroom which is above the kitchen housing the boiler. ... the utility room added on at some point after the house was originally built.
Is the utility room a single story extension?
Could you drop the pipes down from upstairs? e.g bathroom?

Another point is that by connecting a radiator across the boiler flow and return you will be breaking the 3-tee rule and could end up with reverse circulation through the rads during the summer (assuming you have a fully pumped system.)

As has been said, bit of a bodge and you may regret it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back