Adding a security light to existing wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a security light to the back of my house, by replacing an existing 1-gang light switch with a 2-gang, routing the new wiring as required, which looks very straight forward. However, there are a number of issues I'm concerned about:

1. Will I need to get it checked by law?

2. The instructions for the security light suggest *only* using HO5RN,3G,1.00mm^2 cable or "better". But the electrician used standard cable to wire the security light at the front of the house:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/prysmian-6242yh-twin-earth-cable-2-5mm-x-10m-grey/82572

Is this stuff OK for an outside north facing wall?

Cheers in advance,

Jmc

Sponsored Links
1. Will I need to get it checked by law?
I doubt the Chinese police will care!
2. The instructions for the security light suggest *only* using HO5RN,3G,1.00mm^2 cable or "better". But the electrician used standard cable to wire the security light at the front of the house:
Twin and earth is not suitable for the external environment, unless contained within conduit
No! per as above!

The light will not work without a neutral conductor, so if that is not available at the switch you will need to route one from a fitting. Do not automatically think you have a neutral at the switch, it is very likely you have not!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back