Adding a spur to a spur with a FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this!

I have looked throught the forums and have worked out (I think) that the following would be accpetable (if not ideal) - please correct me if I am wrong.

I live in a new build house (summer 2005) where the garage is connected to the house. There is currently a double scoket in the garage that is part of the ring of the ground floor that was installed at the time of build, from this there is a spur that powers the electric garage door (200W) and the outside light (40W bulb on a PIR). I would like to add another spur to this so it is over the work bench, to use to charge power tools (electric drill etc.). The current 'ring' scokets will be used for the lawn mower etc.

To add the additional spur, I plan to use a 13A FCU before the current spured scoket and then connect the new socket to the exisiting spur. I will use 2.5mm T&E.

Is this a safe way forward please? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
In essence this is ok. The entire spured circuit would be protected by the fuse in the first spur, presumably 13A. This no worse than connecting via a 4way extension socket.

Remember to check continuity of CPC and do a RCD trip test with your RCD tester as well as ensuring Zs is below the maximum allowed by BS 7671 for the protective device supplying the circuit.

That was quick thanks. Glad I seemed to have got the right idea, but best get somebody in because it has just gone past by understanding (I get continuity - but not the other bits!)

can you continue the ring circuit by splitting the existing one and using a suitable junction box tucked away somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Yes you're OK to use 2.5 T&E to spur off for the additional socket, you should make sure that the cable is either run in protected conduit or mini trunking. In addition you should also ensure that this circuit is protected with an ELCB. As you stated that you will be using electrical appliances outside of the house.

Blue_macca said:
Yes you're OK to use 2.5 T&E to spur off for the additional socket, you should make sure that the cable is either run in protected conduit or mini trunking. In addition you should also ensure that this circuit is protected with an ELCB. As you stated that you will be using electrical appliances outside of the house.

????

ELCB??? Do you mean RCD???

Current operated ELCB is the same as an RCD.
Voltage operated ELCB are no longer recognised by the iee regs.

Ruggie said:
To add the additional spur, I plan to use a 13A FCU before the current spured scoket and then connect the new socket to the exisiting spur. I will use 2.5mm T&E.

Yes, this is OK providing as has been pointed out they are RCD protected.

Just to clarify it is not OK to have two consecutive spurs from the ring without first installing a FCU.

Thanks everybody for the constructive help and discussion. Will let you know how I get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back