Adhesive on wall or tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some unknown reason, probably that's how my Dad taught me forty years ago but I've always applied adhesive to larger tiles rather than the wall. Currently redoing one of our bathrooms with tiles 60x30 tiles and it seems an easier and less messy way of doing it.

But reading the instructions that came with the tiles it says in bold letters "always apply adhesive to wall and not tile", why's that, anyone know?

I had to take 20 tiles off this morning due to the mosaic being wrong and the tiles I removed had a good spread of adhesive on the wall so can't see a problem but would be happy to be corrected.

TIA

Sponsored Links
If it worked for your Dad, and it works for you then why not carry on doing it that way. At least you can be reasonably certain of a full spread.

Perhaps use the flat edge of the trowel to skin on a tight flat smear to the wall area of each individual tile.

I have always put the adhesive onto the tile. I find it much cleaner to work with and unless the wall is perfectly flat, sometimes applying to the wall is a waste of adhesive.

Large format tiles often require adhesive to both wall and tile to ensure adhesion. Are you dimensions mm or cm?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Foxy, dims are cm's so nice big tiles and to apply. All finished now and adhesive went on the tile and none have fallen off yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back