Adhesives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a NO PARKING sign that I want to fix to a painted- metal garage door.
The sign is made of a plastic that I cannot positively identify but it maybe what, I think, is called polyurethane foam board. It is fairly rigid though light and white matt. The writing seems to be done with a surface tape.
I do not have access to electricity at the site, neither do I have a battery operated drill. I think drilling the metal door with a hand drill would be hard labour so screwing the sign to the door is not on.
I am therefore interested to know if there is an adhesive that might securely stick the sign to the door. When I read what the various types of glue one might use they all seem to have a drawback. Many will not stick some plastics for example.
Could anyone suggest an adhesive that would, with some certainty, do the job?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Stivino.
I will read up the pros and cons of silicone adhesive. I must admit the only silicone I'm familiar with is that used around baths etc.

I'd recommend silicone too, but the sign would have to be held as it cures.
Can you borrow a battery drill, and some pop rivets or self tapping screws?
Garage doors are pitifully thin anyway - a hand drill would work fine.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It looks like silicone is probably the answer but I will try the hand drill first and see how I make out.The garage door is of sheet steel I believe and not aluminium which would be easier to drill.

mind a leave a small gap at the bottom off the silicon to allow any water to drain

Gripfill or any similar exterior panel adhesive. Solvent based ones are generally better

Any of the above sound as if they'll work. Don't worry about drilling through steel sheet with a "wheel brace" type hand drill. As long as the bit is sharp it'll go through no bother. Those of us with memories from before the time of the battery drill have fond memories of hand drilling holes in stuff where there was no power.

Any of the above sound as if they'll work. Don't worry about drilling through steel sheet with a "wheel brace" type hand drill. As long as the bit is sharp it'll go through no bother. Those of us with memories from before the time of the battery drill have fond memories of hand drilling holes in stuff where there was no power.

+1 .... these days everyone thinks there's an easy way to every job :(

Sometimes the "Easy way" is the "hard way". Now I don't use it as much the battery on the cordless is often flat. Still got my Stanley Yankee screwdrivers, Rawlplug plugging tool and hand drills though, and sometimes it's just easier and quicker to do it the old fashioned way. (And I'm starting to sound like the old fart that I no doubt am! :))

Sometimes the "Easy way" is the "hard way". Now I don't use it as much the battery on the cordless is often flat. Still got my Stanley Yankee screwdrivers, Rawlplug plugging tool and hand drills though, and sometimes it's just easier and quicker to do it the old fashioned way. (And I'm starting to sound like the old fart that I no doubt am! :))

yep. ;) :LOL:

i just about remeber this funny looking philips looking tool. :LOL:
cor imagine having to do all that again?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back