Adjustable Photocell for NEMA Rotaloc Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a photocell to replace a NEMA socket type, as per the image below, but I need it to have an adjustable lux setting.

I have tried two different manufacturer's photocells with fixed settings and both turned the lights on about half an hour earlier than necessary. Mrs Stem is on an energy drive and giving me grief about it, so if anyone knows where I can get one with an adjustable lux setting that will fit a NEMA socket, please let me know.

Sponsored Links
It's called black stick on paper. Standard method is to cover the dome to adjust. Some even come with a sticker you can cut to size.
That i would have thought make them come on even earlier

I always thought royce thompson did a range fixed at different lux levels, on the rear they mark the setting of the one you have and im pretty sure theres various other level markings on the back, i assume for the other versions,
To be honest ive always found them to come on late if anything, sometimes the direction affects them, I think they used to suggest facing them north

Sponsored Links
You could try a fitting a reflector and direct more light onto the sensor and thus deceive it into thinking there is more ambient light than there is.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I can change it for another type, but if there was a NEMA one available with an adjustable lux, that I could just swap over in a few seconds, without having to drilling any more holes in my house and changing the wiring over whilst up a ladder, or making and fitting a reflector, so much the better. I guess I'm just lazy and trying to avoid unnecessary work.

However, as there doesn't seem to be what I want available, that looks like what I will have to do.

333rocky333 interesting re the Royce Thompson models. I have one of theirs now. From memory, I think it's rated 30 lux on / 70 lux off and assumed that they were all the same. I'll see if I can find one that comes on at lower than 30 lux. I'm aware of an adjustable one (non NEMA) that goes down to 5 lux.

I can't see any markings 'N' or otherwise on mine.

You could attach and wire an adjustable sensor to a NEMA plug and plug that in. That would require no more holes in the wall and minimum work at the top of the ladder.

If you are totally dis-satisfied with the present sensor you could dismantle it and use its plug as the plug for the idea above.

Maybe the one with the clear perspex would be better than the opaque one, in your pic, a good quide is to watch the local street lights, if yours is earlier then it could just be your p/cell location.

Though some councils have specials fitted, selc supply them but there bigger than the standard ones, not sure if thered supply one but may be worth a call.
http://www.selc.ie/assets/files/downloads/SELC Long Life Photocells Brochure ENG.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back