Adjusting compression on UPVC Window openers - Gap on Handle side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Super straight forward question, sorry if this is stupid.

Noticed quite a few drafts on the UPVC windows in my home and could only find USA tutorials on how to adjust (which the mechanisms looked totally different to mine).... anyway, for compression/pressure adjustments. Is it an allan key adjustment for the sliding cylinder on the vertical wall that locks the window into place once the handle is turned? Or is it more complicated than that? i've tried it but still getting a bit of a gap and air noise, always at the bases of the windows, on the handle side.. Tops generally seem fine.

Some images below of the window type.

IMG-4999.jpgIMG-4998.jpgIMG-4997.jpg

thanks all,

ged

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Should've added a photo of the bit ive been adjusting....the little cylinders here are a 3mm allan key bit. But dont seem to be having any affect.

Adjusting them as it was the only tutorial I saw where the windows had the same sort of mechanism as mine.

Any ideas anyone? :)

IMG-5008.jpgIMG-5013.jpg

Turn the 'cam' with the allen key so that the dot is facing toward the grey gasket, that tightens the compression, generally they're set straight up and down out the box, you'll need to find a happy medium with the cams as too much compression might mean the handle is too tight to lock, back the cams off slightly if thats the case

Could it be the cams are broke?

I’ve tried giving them a good 1/8th of a turn at a time but doesn’t seem to make any difference. Though they don’t seem overly difficult to turn. Less resistance than I expected.

Also I don’t really see a grey dot on them. Maybe a little vertical grey line, could that be the marker I need to point toward the grey gasket (away from the house) ?

72A55374-59DD-40D7-8F43-7BF0AEF8C276.jpegF2755877-EC07-45E2-9C15-AEAFE42CDD28.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Yeah, gave that a try. Made no notable difference, still gaps at the bottom of the windows.

Also noticed that when the windows are closed theres a little more play at the bottoms than at the top. Eg it’s easier to push the door open / away from the frame at the bottom corner if applying a bit of a force. Top corners much harder to push away.

Checked the keeps they seem nice and tight.

You’re right, all the ones that I could push open at the bottom, were because the cams weren’t lining up with the keeps.

First window was because the keeps were too high, lowered them by 10mm or so… compression on this one is so strong at the base now it’s forcing the top to not be air tight. And I can’t adjust the cams for minor adjustment on this one for some reason, they’re really stiff, do you think some wd40 will do the job here?

Second window wouldn’t compress at the bottom because the cam wasn’t close enough to the keep, so had to unscrew the bottom bracket rail, slide it closer to the keeps by 5mm or so. This has fixed the problem on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back