ADT bells only / PowerMaster-10 to keep or not to keep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago we did an ADT contract with a Visonic Powermaster-10, a small installation with a couple of PIRs, door sensors, main unit and control panel under GSM module - keyholders only.

System worked ok but the house configuration changed over time and we wanted to expand the perimeter. The upgrade quotation was too high and also monitoring switched to automated ARC. In a way false alarms are unclear until we actually get in touch with them. So eventually decided to cancel.

During a couple of calls with support and tech teams, I was told by a number of people they can disengage the system via GSM and specifically "reset" their codes and cancel SIM contract, so as to leave the system programmable but without support or service. Fair enough. I had paid for the system and on this basis it would not be a waste to keep and adapt. The one issue is that it takes ADT coded components but they are available online.

After cancellation however they gave me problems. They had advised to contact tech support a few days before the end date, to reset codes remotely. When I spoke to them they said contract was still showing "live" and could not perform the reset yet. Long story short, I was eventually put to their retention department who changed their story. They said codes would not be reset after termination and system is to keep as bells-only. Somehow all 5 people gave misleading advice on particular details during our lengthy cancellation call but then retracted. Shambles.

So, in short, would a hard-reset allow me to reprogramme or would I be wasting my time? I didn't want to go over re-enrolling and zoning everything from scratch but if still an option, that takes us to my next post below.

Sponsored Links
The second part of my post depends on whether above powermaster-10 is of use or expandable.

For example, I have IP cameras and smart lights in the house. I am considering a "smarter" system that would be easy to manage remotely and also trigger events with the alarm e.g turn lights on and IPcams switch to constant recordings to cloud, once the alarm or sensors issue specific events. For this part I am not sure if the powermaster could use a module (PowerLink3) to control such events.

I know there is a lot of systems out there to review but first want to assess if existing system can be adapted. Unless it would be easier to invest in something newer and more versatile.

ADT tend to have there own versions of equipment.

As for them messing you around contact CAB for advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input, sorry the preface may have sounded as looking for consumer advice, but it's the last line and 2nd post I am after.

I am looking at the technical aspect. Simply wanted to know if anyone has had a usable solution with ADT powermaster-10 after a hard reset or it would be a waste of time. I guess we can still give it a try anyway?

It would help to know whether a smarter system can be achieved with a module before investing time.
I wanted to use alarm trigger events to e.g control smart lights/sockets and IP cameras already present at the house.

Otherwise, I am considering two systems, one heavily used and discussed here "Pyronix Enforcer V10" or a newly emerging system called "Ajax" some friends have used in EU. It appears flexible and expandable but not well known in the UK at the moment.

The first thing I come across as not clear with Pyronix, is that they only seem to support their own IP cams? I may be wrong, but already have installed my own brand IP HD cams that I prefer to utilise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back