Advice about planting bushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this gardening lark.
Just had the front block-paved. I've left a 12' quarter-circle radius in one corner. The corner of which faces SW, and is bounded by a 4' wall either side. Shaded half the day.
I'd like a large bush in the corner, and progressively smaller ones towards the front. Something that stays green whatever all year.
Any advice on what will fit the bill greatly appreciated.
Also, anyone know of a fast-growing climber to train up the house, that stays green all year?
Thanks for any advice.
:)

Sponsored Links
dont know about the bush, but i would suggest that you don't have any climber growing up the house*

reason, they actually dig into the mortar, and when it gets too high, how are you going to manage it?

we had a (forgotten it now) but decidedto remove it before it got too out of control, it had grown ito the motar, andeven after chopping it off from the baseto make sure it was dead, it still grew some, and and when i pulled it off not all came off , and what was left had to be removed with a wire brush.

we do have (in the garden) a russian vine aka mile a minute, that does grow fast, it on trllis, but becuse it grows fast, (mile a minute, well amost) it needs a lot of looking after and cutting back, go away on hols for 2 weeks and you wonder where your garden went.

but looked after it is nice

Thanks for that, breezer.
I know about it digging into the mortar, but it's not a real problem for now. In a couple of years I'm hoping to sell, and the new owner could remove it if they wanted before it had got too established.
The problem is, I've built an extension on the side and a porch. It's an old house and the bricks aren't a perfect match. The wife won't let me render the old stuff, so I just want to camouflage as much as I can.
Doesn't the Russian Vine shed its leaves for 6 months?
I wanted something that stayed green all year. :)

Johnboy54 said:
The problem is, I've built an extension on the side and a porch. It's an old house and the bricks aren't a perfect match. The wife won't let me render the old stuff, so I just want to camouflage as much as I can.
:)

There is a company (whose name escapes me at the moment) on Tinternet that do an amazing selection of brick dyes to match old to new or visa versa. This is something a friend of mine has used as his new didnt match old. He is well happy with the result. Fast growing climbers are a bloody nightmare, I wouldnt do it! ;)

Sponsored Links
Found it!

http://www.dyebrick.com/

Never knew anything like that existed. Thank you so much. It looks like a great product. And, I can email them photos to get the match I need. For £40 it'll make the house look new!
Am I sounding like a rep for the company?

Thanks again. :D

Johnboy54 said:
Found it!

http://www.dyebrick.com/

Never knew anything like that existed. Thank you so much. It looks like a great product. And, I can email them photos to get the match I need. For £40 it'll make the house look new!
Am I sounding like a rep for the company?

Thanks again. :D

Thats the bunny!!

Glad to be of some assistance :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back