Advice and Recommendations for Cleaning Roughcast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My house has roughcast finished walls which are starting to get a stain which looks red/orange when rubbed with a damp cloth. I gather that this is algae.

I understand that this type of finish should be soft washed rather than pressure washed and preferably not with a bleach based product.

The walls are quite high and I would prefer not to be working off ladders, so I need something that will project the water/cleaner mix perhaps 6 to 8 meters.

This is where I come a bit unstuck, I need a washer with enough power to spray the cleaning solution this far yet not so powerful that it strips the roughcast off from the walls. Is it just a case of aiming at the walls but not standing too close, or am I missing something?

Has anyone any experience of this type of cleaning and can anyone recommend a suitable pressure washer and cleaning solution to remove the algae

I have an old nilfisk pressure washer, but I need something that allows the detergent to be mixed with the water when spraying which this doesn’t do and I dont know whether its too high pressure either.

Any help greatly appreciated

Pete

Sponsored Links
One suggestion is one of those telescopic poles with a brush fitted, intended for ordinary garden hosesdoes your nilfisk need to be connected to mains water? My cheap b&q plus karacher can be connected to a water butt

So a plastic dustbin filled with a mix of water and bleach then sent up the pole might work?
Also, I had a cheap water butt pump that connected to a garden hose- cost me £25

The telescopic pole certainly is an option, just found a 17 ft one on amazon but dont think it will be long enought to reach the top of the gable end. The nilfisk is very good, but wont work directly from a water butt so I would need to get a pump. While I was looking for the telescopic pole, I did come across a lance from nilfisk for about £85 that talks about a reach of about 15 meters which would seem ideal, unfortunately, it doesnt fit my version of Nilfisk - typical, may have to invest in a new pressure washer !!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back