advice from gas fitter equired please

D

diane1

hi, i currently have a coal fire, which is lovely, but the price of coal is crippling, along with firelighters etc.

i would like to swap for one of these gas fires that just slip into the gap and look like a real fire.

there is a gas pipe next to the fire place (as there was a gas fire there many years ago)
i know i need to get the chimney swept.
what else would be required for the swap, also how much is a corgi fitter likley to charge??

thanks in advance, diane ;)

Sponsored Links
I have a coal effect fire , very nice nice surround but would I have another one? No, it is very inefficient and I would be surprised if it was any cheaper than coal when comparisons of the price per kw produced is used.

Basket fires are very uneconomical and mainly for effect only around 25% efficient. But if you get a proper inset fire fitted these are far more efficient upto 89% but will require chair brick in fire place removing and also old coal back boiler if fitted

:oops: sorry moderator, i was only after a ball park figure so that i know if im being diddled or not when i get someone round.

being a woman on my own, some tradesmen like to hike up the price thinking that the little lady wont know either way!

;) diane

Sponsored Links
ok, so basket fires are no good.

what about electric fires?
im just looking for an easier option than being cinderella every day.

diane

Only my opinion - but a fire or without solid fuel (coal or wood) is not a fire.

diane1 said:
being a woman on my own, some tradesmen like to hike up the price thinking that the little lady wont know either way!
;) diane

I dont know who you are thinking of but I certainly dont charge any different prices whatever the age, gender or race of the client. But I dont like working for anyone who calls me a tradesman. I prefer to be called a highly experienced boiler engineer but then I have an inferiority complex according to AlanE.

The basket fires are fine as they look nice but its just that they dont give out much heat.

If everything was simple we would charge about £99 to connect a new fire to an existing gas fitting beside the fireplace.

Tony

If your a boiler engineer Agile why reply to a fire Question . Would not call around seven years in the game highly experienced either. ;)

thanks Tony, i think you must be one in a million then! :)

i thought the name "tradesman" was quite polite....ive heard them called much worse.
anyway...this is trade talk...and im assuming your a man......hence name..tradesman
;)

losing interest in this project..i thought gas fires were supposed to be warm!

maybe i should just find someone to rake my coals for me every morning!! :oops:

diane

Diane i think a few women in the past have made the mistake of assuming Agile was a man. :eek:

There are two core types of gas fire as described in this post...

DLFE - Decorative Live Fuel Effect
ILFE - Inset Live Fuel Effect

The top being the basket fires and "pretty" stuff; with the later being much more to do with heat.

Because of central heating; most people just want a fire to make them "feel" warm and to have a focal point; hence the DLFE's were born... Yes; they do give out heat; but most of it goes up the chimney.

My advice; block off the chimney and trap the heat into the room and have a nice wrought iron basket with no gas connected (Could be a bit dangerous with a blocked off flue) and then just turn your rads up.

As for Agile's price; spot on; we'd be looking at around £120 subject to gas being within easy connection and an air vent being present already.

Did you actually mean a basket type gas fire or an inset coal effect fire.

Very rough price for inset fitting only would be £200 + VAT.

When I go to a faulty boiler I never assume anything!

I once found some weed inside the boiler but it was not resposible for the fault!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back