Advice needed for making TV stand from Birch plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am trying to make a TV stand out of Birch plywood since I simply can't find the size and design I am after.

I did a sketch (similar to one attached) quoted price was way more than I am prepared to pay. So I have decided to try building one myself since the worst that can happen is £150 of material wastage or TV falling off a wonky TV stand.

The plywood supplier will be cutting the main bits I need to exact sizes free which makes things easier. I should be able to get hold of a circular saw, biscuit joiner ..... for my experiment.

1) Should I use 18mm or 25mm ply?. just wondering if the extra thickness adds to the rigidity
2) Is the Biscuit join the easiest way of joining the wood together?.
3) what is the best wood glue to use?
4) Should the sanding of the ply be done before or after construction?

Cheers

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
I would use mdf for that design, ply will look awful if you can't get clean cuts. Is it to be painted? If it goes wrong it's only a sheet or so of mdf at less than £20 a sheet.

foxhole, I am not so keen on the mdf look.

However you have given me a great idea to use MDF to practice the same design before I commit to plywood.

Is MDF safe in the house?

Why wouldn't be? Many homes are full of it. Dont' understand what you mean by the look of it? , once painted all looks the same, though ply will show grain thru and any rough edges where cut.

Sponsored Links
You could put a nice solid wood frame on the front if you dont like look of the ply. Personally MDF would look cheap and nasty.

You could put a nice solid wood frame on the front if you dont like look of the ply. Personally MDF would look cheap and nasty.

This was my intention from the you tube videos I have seen. 2nd choice was an iron on veneer

You haven't said what the dimensions are, but I will guess the vertical supports are less than 24 inches apart. That's close enough that 18mm material is plenty thick enough. Any extra would be for decorative purposes only.
Easiest joints are probably dowel rather than biscuit. No special tools necessary.
Any general purpose PVA wood glue will do.
I have used birch ply before and it looks nice when the edges are sanded good and smooth, and varnished. I've also veneered ply edges before, which is not difficult.

Length 1380 mm
Depth 4900mm
Height 5200mm

Internal vertical width are 3900 + 5000 + 3900

There is a jump in price between 18mm and 25mm ply so would prefer not to go higher if it is makes no structural difference for it intended use.

opp's

Length 1380 mm
Depth 490mm
Height 520mm
Internal vertical width are 390 + 500 + 390

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Rather than getting MDF cuts, I took a chance and bought 21 mm birch ply already cut to my dimensions. The cuts looks almost perfect but I guess I would know on assembly.

I have already done a very quick sanding with 240 grit and then done the biscuit joins.

The Birch looks too bright for my liking so would like to change the colour to something darker or oak looking.

Do I use a stain or vanish? .... I have no clue regarding finishing touches

Do I put this on before or after gluing the unit together?

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back