Advice needed to 'fill' in old stair opening on balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As the topic states, I need to fill in a void where the old stairwell was on a 1st floor balcony. I have attached an image to clarify
The area is 3500 x 900, the existing slab is 280mm thick.

2dgkp4g.jpg

My question is how do 'connect' the new slab onto the old one.

I have thought that I could drill into the exiting slab on the one side and the brickwork of the house on the other, fix rebar either with a chemical anchor or an epoxy. Lay a welded reinforcing mesh and tie onto the fixed rebar, shutter the bottom with acrows etc and then pour the slab.

Would this work?

Any other ideas that anybody suggests.

Thanks

Marcus

Sponsored Links
If i were you i should definitely post pics of the proposition from above, and below, and at a distance. What looks to be straightforward job might just need a little more support somewhere.
For instance, some kind of support might have been unknowingly removed with the stairs?

Does the slab have any posts or pillars?
How is the slab tied into the main structure?

We recently had on here a discussion about a cantilevered failure - not saying that yours is anything like the business that came under discussion, but FWIW, it would be the safe thing to post pics.

Hi Dann09

Thanks for the reply.
The current veranda is not a cantilver it has supporting columns underneath.

Its going to be a bit difficult to get back to take some pictures.

The current staircase which is cantilevered into the brick wall of the house there is no wall picking up the 'floating' side of the tread or indeed under the slab where the stairwell is, so the existing staircase is giving no support to the slab.
How the existing slab is currently joined to the house I have no idea, you would assume it it is tied in with some sort of reinforcing bar.

Is your concern about the additional weight the new slab is going to put on the existing? If so I guess supporting brick piers / or similar could be built below?

Sponsored Links
I'd still like some pics. It's just me, but i dont feel comfortable advising with so little information.

FWIW: as in your original proposal for pinning etc. if all appears to be safe, and you are competent to undertake this, then you could drill and pin all four sides of the stair-well, and tie in a brief lattice of rebar.

A brief visit from BCO would help esp. ref any fire Regs and egress stairs.
The added weight shouldn't be an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back