Advice on Combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Suprima 60 boiler (don't laugh) and the red light flashes to tell me of a problem quite often. I am getting tired of it and although it is only about nine years old, it may be time for a new boiler. I live in a 3 bed-terraced Victorian house and although the water is metered I don't use much, as I have a shower. I have a storage tank for the heated water in the upstairs bathroom, and a cold-water tank above it in the same cupboard. I believe that this is called an Open Vent system - hope I am correct.
Without wishing to start a war .................... are Combi boilers a safe replacement? I will lose the warm airing cupboard, but on the other hand also the tank and storage tank and get a new and hopefully more reliable boiler.
Any opinions of Combi boiler's worth?

Sponsored Links
Like everyone else you dont tell us the vital info on how many people live there and how many bathrooms.

The cheapest and best option would be to have the latest revised PCB fitted to your Suprima. About £260 inclusive.

Tony

If you want a warm airing cupboard then just fit a small rad in there. As for choosin a boiler, then we will all recommend differant quality ones.But in your situation a combi would be a good choice for space saving and energy consumption savings.

Hi Phil,
I have a suprima 100, as I guess you know there's a problem with the original PCB's in the suprima series. It had the red light problem. I fitted a new PCB myself and it's worked perfectly since; cost less than £100.

PB

Sponsored Links
Hi Phil,
I have a suprima 100, as I guess you know there's a problem with the original PCB's in the suprima series. It had the red light problem. I fitted a new PCB myself and it's worked perfectly since; cost less than £100.

PB

Where did you get a suprema pcb for less than 100 quid ? Did it come with a new wiring harness?

Thanks for the info chaps - I forgot to state that I have only one bathroom and only I live here.

In that case I am sure you would find a combi works fine for you.

However, the Suprima can be pretty much fixed by replacing the PCB with the new design which would be about £260 inc. fitted.

Replacing with a new boiler would save about 15% on your gas bill but that would not justify the £2000 for a new boiler.

Tony

Hi Phil,

PB

:eek:

must be ebay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back