Advice on decent painting tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved and the whole house will eventually need decorating so thought it was a good time to invest in some half decent stuff.

We've used both paint pads and rollers in the past, which normally give the most professional finish and is it worth buying the more expensive ones? Also is it worth buying a 'cutting in' brush as they seem pretty expensive and is a brush mate a good buy? I don't mind buying stuff if it will produce much better results but not if the difference is only minimal.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would spend £50 or so to get the free del, from places like decorating direct, decorating store etc, there is a few good ones, get a set of decent brushes £15 set for gloss £15 few buckets 1 litre, and 15 litres for emulsion, decent roller, few sleeves med, long, short pile, not dear, buy half decent, wont be no splatter, fingers wont hurt when using for a while, like cheap brushes!, After yrs of saying i will, i did!! i got a brushmate, and yet to use, but if its as good as they say, worth the £15

same as paints, buy half decent, armstead trade is good, from dulux dec centre, also del free for a fiver

A quick search of the forum should bring up plenty of advice.
2 that always get a mention here are wooster pro dooz for roller sleeves and purdy for brushes.
Im a keen diy painter and have never had a problem with the short pile pro finish roller sleeves from wickes, i tend to go for a reasonably good brush such as harris rather than the own brand stuff.
Most brushes i have are years old as i find them nicer to use, if cleaned properly they will last. I always clean out after use so cant comment on the brush mate, the wife is always in work when i wash them out in the sink or bath!

Sponsored Links
Get one of those small toy dustbins, less than a fiver,

Pour in some branded Paint Brush Cleaner, put your paint brushes/rollers ( solvent based) when finished in that overnight, rinse brushes and use.

Same as a Brush mate but a lot cheaper.

mMpPe7OIngE9gbkFXMGR-Kg.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back