advice on property improvement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a basement flat that is a listed building in central London. I am planning on making several changes which include moving the position of a partition wall (replacing it with brick work), reposition a door opening and window frame, having a conservatory built in the rear court yard, refurbishing kitchen and bathroom. Pipes and wiring would need to be replaced and rerouted.

Could any one please advise me on how to accomplish this project i.e a simple time table of what order this type of work should be done in and which certificates and regulations would be necessary.

Thank you for any advice

Jonas Cooper

Sponsored Links
whatever the figure i would want an extra 20k to work in central London these days! :eek:

You will need listed building consent, as well as building regulations approval, if thee works involve structural alterations.

How much detail you will have to provide on drawings for their approval is entirely dependent on the whims of the conservation officer and the grade of listing. Until you get past this obstacle, the timescale is open-ended.

Sponsored Links
Whether listed consent is required will depend on why it was listed, and the scope of the works. Not all works to listed buildings require consent

For order of work, basically you do the internal/structural alterations first, then run in the services, then bathroom suite and kitchen units, then finishes and lastly the conservatory

Sort out your consents first - planning (listed) consent takes the longest, building regs next - normally do this on a building notice (no plans required) and can start after 48 hours notice to the council.

Also you will need the landlords permission as you are in a flat, and if applicable you must serve a Party Wall notice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back