Advice on recladding external timber lean-to conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've come here for some advice regarding re-cladding and making good a lean to building and wondered if anyone could help me out (I'm sorry for the forthcoming essay)...

Myself and my Mrs purchased a repossession as our first home a few years ago with this lean to conservatory attached (which has been quite poorly put together and clad). All was great until I noticed water ingress on what was once the plasterboard walls internally on our first really harsh winter (blew all the paint and skim), and I decided to dismantle it and take a look at the structure myself.

IMG_2205.JPG

It's a timber stud wall structure with double glazed PVC frontage (All one unit, pretty new) and a quite decent looking solid poly roof, the sides of the stud walls/structure externally are uPvc clad and have been nailed in (badly) with polypins on the front of the boards (which have allowed the water ingress). Inbetween the studs, polyfoam cavity boards have been shoddily placed/bodged inside. Then internally were plasterboard walls and electrics (which I straight away killed off - god knows who in there right mind would have made this live!). From dates ive seen, i think this was all put together in '07/'08.

The timber structure itself is actually really sound and solid and seems well attached to the house & concrete base, and unfortunately knocking it all down and starting again with a brand new one isn't currently an option at the minute (funds won't allow as I am also doing the rest of the house and also this is a huge great space which was once useable - mega addition to the home). With the structure being pretty sound and us settling down, I wanted to make this useable again but after a few months of research and advice I'm still not totally sure on a plan of action.

IMG_2210.JPGIMG_2211.JPG IMG_2216.JPG

The uPvc cladding outside seems to be the cheap wickes rubbish, meant more so for interior use and has been nailed straight onto the studs with no membrane/housewrap type material whatsoever. The polyfoam boards were the only thing between the pvc cladding and (what were) the plasterboard walls. On one side the roof butts right up to the building perfectly, and one side a slight overhang.

My original plan was to staple a membrane / housewrap material to the studs, reclad on that with exterior grade uPvc shiplap cladding and silicone the panels , using proper flatheaded cladding pins, insulate properly inbetween studs and treat the timbers, some sort of vapour barrier internally and also uPvc clad internally.

My problem is after a lot of reading, I have read of people doing it different ways (using battens after housewrap and cladding to batens/plywood sheets etc). My problem for using that approach is the lack of space around the poly roof and pvc frontage. Seems to me that approach would be pretty hard and leave too much of a gap around the top of the roof and where the current cladding meets the frontage, (probably too much space to make good and possibly pack out some how / exceeding the cill).

I wondered if anyone could offer any guidance? You can almost probably tell I'm not in the trade, but I like to try to turn my hand to anything I can and give anything a good go (Bit of a keen DIYer when I have the time - lol).

Really sorry for the mega essay - after coming here for years for information, this is my first real question/cry for help.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance everyone :) - James.

Sponsored Links
I have seen better extensions. :) In general its not too bad, where exactly did the water come in? Are you sure its not intersticular condensation as there is no VCL or drips from the ceiling plastic?. The gaps in the foam should be fixed with some gun foam.
Frank

Your problem is that is not shiplap cladding, but is soffit strip - which is for horizontal fixing and not vertical.

Change it for the proper stuff, and then search for timber frame construction for a guide on how to put the wall back together.

Sponsored Links
I have seen better extensions. :) In general its not too bad, where exactly did the water come in? Are you sure its not intersticular condensation as there is no VCL or drips from the ceiling plastic?. The gaps in the foam should be fixed with some gun foam.
Frank
Hi there, the cheap cladding has split where polynails have been used to the face and nailed to the studs and its let the water in slightly soaking the studs. There was never any membrane or anything fitted though so thats not helped.

Your problem is that is not shiplap cladding, but is soffit strip - which is for horizontal fixing and not vertical.

Change it for the proper stuff, and then search for timber frame construction for a guide on how to put the wall back together.

Thanks mate! Measured up and got a price on the shiplap and U channels etc i need delivered, the only thing I'm not totally sure about is the installation of it all to keep it dry sealed up, I want to make a proper job of it though if I'm spending out on the right materials. From reading some peoples projects, I can see that whoever did mine did it totally wrong as the hollow soffits were just nailed straight onto the studs with no membrane or OSB/battens to the studs. I think i would struggle doing it that way though as the way it has been fitted, the nailed soffitboards line right up to the PVC frontage and end of the poly roof perfectly making it all nice and square (albeit fitted totally wrong). I can see it meaning i would somehow have to pack it all out around the space that would be made or something, and I think it would look a little odd maybe slightly butting up to the cill at the bottom. I considered stapling breathable membrane to the studs (externally) and then cladding straight onto that, but reading into it I can see that wouldn't allow the airflow, but I think I'm restricted for space to do it. Any suggestions? I'm putting off ordering everything because i keep hitting these stumbling blocks and want to be totally sure before i put the order through.

20150722_165416.jpg Edge of roof and side/end of cladding
20150722_165426.jpg End of cladding and under pvc board - butting up to pvc frontage

Thanks for your replies fellas, it's really appreciated! Learning so much from this website!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back