Advice on wall strength for lintel..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a property that had a strange extension on the side and rear of the house but with no access other than through the old front door into the extension passage..I noticed today that in the lounge which the extension joins onto there was a studded partition so i ripped it out and found this (see pic. ) the extension lintel seems to be sitting on one skin of bricks, as you can see in the photo it is for a single storey extension and is just holding joists and roof, i want to cut part of the brick wall out so i can use the extension via the house, if i chop the section of wall to the right of the joist will the remaining brickwork still have enough strength to support the lintel as it will be basically a brick and a half wide, if not what could i do to strengthen the small wall that would be left..?
IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It is...if i remove the patio doors from the extension and brick up the hole with a window in it, would i be able to cut back further on the house internal wall due to the fact that i would be supporting the lintel crossways from where i brick up the patio..?

Is that stud work an old window bricked up, something looks a bit odd to me, you would be better waiting for one of the builders to advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back