advice please buying a steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are having our front and back rooms joined to form one big lounge and this means we are removing a supporting wall and must fit a steel beam for support.

The beam my structural engineer has stipulated is 254x254x73 UC and the length if all goes as planned should be 3620mm.

We went to Sparrowhawks in Epsom, Surrey which is near us and well known in this area and they have quoted us a price. I am prepared to pay what ever the cost is within reason but i was surprised at their price so I am after guidance on whether it is correct and whether there is anywhere else I should be trying in the say Surrey/Kent area.

They recommended that they supply it red oxide painted which we thought was a good idea, and the price they quoted was £478 + Vat making it £573.60. They said they currently have access to an off-cut about the size I need, (not sure at the moment what about the size means) but that if I am in time then I could have that for £300 + vat making it £360.

Do these prices sound right?

Should I be looking anywhere else, ie can you recommend?

Sparrowhawks are just round the corner and popular round here, seems everybody uses them but I was shocked at how much a steel beam could be and just want to be sure I am not being ripped off.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to get local quotes. But it's a little odd that they have a cheap price for an off-cut when cost is normally by the metre.

That's a massive section size though, for an inner wall of such a relatively small span. Is the size correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back