Advice please on where to have 'joints' in wooden ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After successfully putting a lowered ceiling in my bathroom, using tongue and groove cladding, I have decided to do the same in my lounge.

The problem is that the lounge is approx. 5m x 4.6m which means that I will have to join the lengths of the cladding. The longest cladding I saw was 2.7m.

Can anyone suggest the best place for the joint to make it most pleasing on the eye - i.e stagger the boards with several joints in each (like floorboards), have one joint running along the middle of the room, or have the full length of board in the centre with a joint at each end?

Hope I haven't made this sound too confusing :oops:

Thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
The easiest way to do it would be to use a similar method to laying laminate floors. Fit you r first board tight in to a corner.Cut your next board between your wall and the end cut of your fist board. Use the offcut from this to start your next row, followed bt a full board, followed by a cut upto the wall etc....... This will give you a pretty random appearance of the board joints and in my opinion will look better.

how are you attaching the cladding to the existing ceiling?

my woodyard do 4.2m worth asking around to see if your woodyard do it or can get it any longer[assuming your talking ex 4byhalf inch which covers about 89mm by 9mm thick]

even the sheds can do it in 3m lenghts

you have only 2 real choices to make a feature off the joint in a central or sutable position
or randomise them
you need to check the ends for square as they can often be out then simply cut and butt up the the previous bit
i personaly would choose this method providing the joints are going to be well staggerd as the support for the joins comes from the plank either side
i woud also place a batton tucked just behind the plank either side at the join with a dab of no nails holding it in place and a dab where the join is

i would also blind nail avoiding the last 2" inches off the tounge

Sponsored Links
my woodyard do 4.2m worth asking around to see if your woodyard do it or can get it any longer[assuming your talking ex 4byhalf inch which covers about 89mm by 9mm thick]

Yeah, that's the stuff big-all. The room is 4.51 (although I rounded to 4.5m, so everyone would think I lived in a bigger house than I do :LOL: :LOL: ). I had been thinking of leaving a 200-300mm 'gap' around the side anyway, and putting some 'hidden' coloured lights under the ends of the cladding - to give a nice ambient feeling :oops:

how are you attaching the cladding to the existing ceiling?
I'll build a frame for the roof first swelec that is attached to the joists, then glue and panel pin the cladding to it. Worked great in the bathroom :cool:

mifty12 - much appreciated. I will try to get the 4.2m lenghts first so I can do away with any joints.

Thanks for your replies. I'll be starting this project within the next few weeks, so your advice has been most useful :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back