advice pls...burner will not ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have quite an old central heating system and the burner will not ignite. The model is fuelsaver 12RS from ca. 1981. I have checked the electrics following troubleshoot manual and it seems ok. Voltage across solenoid is 25V and when the thermostat is switched off this shows 0. The pilot light is on. Does anyone have any clues please?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
turn electricity off, disconnect wires from gas valve and measure resistance across terminals.

Sounds like the gas valve.
Does the gas valve have a blue or brown plastic knob? If so, it's obsolete and you're looking at a new boiler. :cry:
Green or grey and you can get it replaced.

thanks Mick

there is a gas control knob, though I am not too sure where the gas valve wires a relocated. can you assist pls?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris

I am unsure were to locate the gas valve. There is a unitrol gas valve and a knob with pilot ignition star and small logo with flame. The knob is turned to this last position once the pilot is on. What are your thoughts?

Hi

I have measured the resistance on the two prongs that come out of the gas valve and it shows 40 on the x1K scale. presume it is 40,000 ohms??

any clues

thanks

Pilot on,power at the gas valve solinoid and no burner lit means gas valve/solinoid US mate

Usually Robertshaw gas valve on these if avialable it is very expensive, solenoid was avialable seperatly. can be fixed with super glue but not by a diyer not strictly legal but lasts for up to 15 years.
If it was fitted 81 it was old stock as at time they had been replaced with feulsaverS 30 or 40B

is it difficult to repair the solenoid or does it mean the gas valve has to be removed? thanks

im going to ask a stupid question .............

have you turned the gas valve knob from pilot to full flame ?

may sound daft but people do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back