Advice Re... Showers units and wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice required if at all possible..

background.. currently refurbishing my bathroom and about to replace my old shower (Electric shower 8.5kw gainsborough about 10yrs old) supplied by a 6mm cable 10/11metre run from consumer unit (40amp RCD) to pull switch. 2metres of cable from switch to shower..

Im considering changing to 9.5kw shower ... but having read other information it looks like i will have to replace the cable with 10mm and it looks like this will be hard work as it runs through the cavity wall to the loft..

Therefore...

1) Would I notice a substantial difference (with regard to flow and temperature)in a slighty higher kilowatt unit and is it worth the hassle and expense of getting the cable replaced..

2) Would it be more prudent to do a straight swop for a similiar unit in the hope that technology has moved on and the output of a new shower unit would be better than my old one.

3) How much does it cost to replace a cable ( roughly)

Sponsored Links
colly1964 said:
1) Would I notice a substantial difference (with regard to flow and temperature)in a slighty higher kilowatt unit and is it worth the hassle and expense of getting the cable replaced..
Probably not. Alot depends on your water pressure anyway. If you have poor pressure then upping the power of the shower won't make much difference.

colly1964 said:
2) Would it be more prudent to do a straight swop for a similiar unit in the hope that technology has moved on and the output of a new shower unit would be better than my old one.
This wouldn't make any difference. If it's still the same power then you will still have the same heating effect.

colly1964 said:
3) How much does it cost to replace a cable ( roughly)
Don't think anyone can really answer this without seeing it!

Depending on what sort of refurbishment of the bathroom you are undertaking and your existing hot water setup, it could be worth looking at a mixer shower or power shower. Generally much better flow and more heat.

Bongos....

Thanks for the reply/advice...

i had considered the other types of shower (mixer/power) but my hot water is run off a combi boiler which when hot produces about 9 ltrs a min in the bathroom area but at a low pressure

i was concerned that there would not be enough hot water flow for those types... also the cold water mains is a very high pressure and I had heard that it is sometimes difficult to control the temp/mix when you have to substantially different water feeds...

Indeed and, I believe, you cant use a mixer/shower off a combi.

So a mains water, instant heat shower, (upgrade/replace the one you have) looks like the option.
But bear in mind that anything other than a like for like swop would involve notification of works to the LABC (if u DIYing it) or use a registered spark.

Sponsored Links
Very pleased with the Mira 9.8KW. We too have good mains pressure; the thing I like about this shower is that there is a Medium setting for the summer when the incoming water is warmer. Does your 10 year old showerwiring have a separate RCD?

i had considered the other types of shower (mixer/power) but my hot water is run off a combi boiler which when hot produces about 9 ltrs a min in the bathroom area

Just thought I'd throw some numbers into the mix, it takes one calorie to raise the temperature of one ML of water by one degree Celsius (the definition of the unit), one calorie is equal to 4.18 Joules, one watt is one joule a second, so a 9500w shower provides 9500 joules every second (2273 calories), if you assume you want a hot shower at 37 Degrees Celsius, and at the way things have been lately, you might be lucky if the water supply is at 5 degrees Celsius, a rise in temperature of 32 C, 2273/32=71ml a second, or 71x60 = 4.26L/min

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back