Advice regarding size of extension to include 'Olds' Annex please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a detached chalet bungalow 14m wide, which had a 4m rear/side extension many years ago (joined to one rear corner). We applied for a LDC to extend to the back of the house roughly from the centre line to encompass the existing badly built extension, refused due to new+old being more than half the width of the existing building. Bit of a schoolboy error I accept, (but our plan drawer should have known better!). BC full plans approval received.
Anyway, so now we need to apply for full planning, understood.
Since then we've been considering moving some aging parents in with us, so 'while we have the diggers in' now looking at going the whole way across the back of the house to include an annex to the bit not previously extended, top right on attached sketch. This will make the whole extension around 19m wide and (depending on what we do) between say 4.5m and 6m out, maybe more as I'm struggling a bit with what will become a dark internal bathroom that's not currently amended on sketch.
My question is, are there any practical/planning/BC constraints that may come into play? (Flat roof, as I can't afford pitched). All the general advice I can glean from here and everywhere else is consumed by 'how big can I make it without planning permission?' and not what people have encountered when applying for it, particularly when including a self-contained annex. Cost is as always a consideration so will going from 4.5m to 6m or more mean the spans will likely require special attention/steels? Currently based on 8x2 timber, SE calcs in hand (but probably wasted our money if we change it all).
The plot is quite generous so there's no problem there; the extension would be around 25m from any other buildings (but within 2m of our side fence between us and somebody's back garden). People will see a big new block over their back fence but that doesn't sound like a cause for refusal, considering the huge houses/extensions they let people throw up round here about 6" from somebody else's house. Not visible from road. And if we were just building on that side we could do it under LD anyway, bungalow eaves junction arguments aside...
We'll also need to go back to BC, are there any size/volume/use factors that will put this under additional scrutiny? Any wheelchair access requirements, although not necessary at the moment this might be requested and sensible to cater for, so bigger bathroom needed rather than a small en-suite tucked somewhere?
I'll probably get a 'proper' architect involved this time, but I'd like to start off with a good understanding of what's practical and what we think we want and can afford. I have a furnished 3D model on the go so I can get a good walkthrough, have made a start at what the annex might be like.
Sorry for the long question, any advice gratefully received (Don't move the in-laws in aside! :eek: I'm already on that one).

Thanks, Andrew

Attachments

• Extension and Annex.jpg
    Extension and Annex.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Extension and Annex2.jpg
    Extension and Annex2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back