Advise on extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over a year ago I installed an Airflow Quiet Air QT100T bathroom extractor fan in an en-suite bathroom, which was replacing the fan originally installed by the builder when the house was built 14 years previously. The old fan had always been noisy, so I wanted something quieter. While installing the fan I noticed the 100mm flexible hose wasn't vented to the outside, but simply left open in a small loft space above the en-suite (not accessible). I vowed to fix this even though there was no obvious sign of damp or ill effects on the roof rafters.

I've been disappointed with the Quiet Air for two reasons: 1. On the slow speed, "quiet" setting is is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. 2. On the faster, noiser setting (same noise volume as our previous fan), it still doesn't seem to clear the air and the emulstion ceiling paint around the fan has peeled away. I wonder if this is down to the design of the fan as there is cover which possibly deflects the moisture onto the ceiling around the fan before sucking it away.

A few weeks ago our main bathroom extractor failed. This ceiling fan uses 100mm ducting to an outside wall. So, I'm now considering replacing two fans, but want something powerful, yet not too noisy.

Quiet Air now do a 120mm version, which should improve the performance and installing this in the en-suite isn't a big deal as I need to fit an outside vent anyway. Obviously for the bathroom (which is about 75% larger than the en-suite) this would require new flexible ducting and a new outside vent, meaning a larger hole in the wall. Clearly this is more effort than simply replacing it with another 100mm ceiling fan, but given my teenage boys use this bathroom extra venting would be useful.

I would appreciate any pointers on which fans to use. Anyone have any experience of the larger Quiet Air fans? Is there a less pricey option?

Sponsored Links
I use a powerful inline fan mounted above the ceiling, suspended from roof timbers on a spring to minimise noise transmission. The more powerful the less time it needs to run and the less noise pollution created.

Yes, I would prefer to use inline extractors, unfortunately the only access I have to the space above both our bathroom and en-suite is via the small hole that the extractor ducting fits through, so it isn't practical.

Having no access to the loft space is far from ideal, not only for this reason but for access in the case of a fire.

I would suggest getting a hatch fitted, so that you can gain access. Inline fans are infinity better.

Sponsored Links
The space above the bathroom and en-suite is not a "loft" space, it is roof space. These rooms are at either end of the house and have separate roofs from the rest of the house, which does have a loft, or did have a loft, but this was converted into a room with en-suite.

So, as I explained, there is no access to the roof space above the bathroom and en-suite and I have to work around this. The extractors are fitted close to the external walls in both rooms, so it is possible to feed cables/ducting from the outside through to the ceiling hole, but it isn't possible to fit inline extraction units.

As much as I would like to use inline extractors, lack of access makes this impossible without taking a large part of the ceiling down, which I don't plan to do.

Thanks for the pointer. I've just had a look and as you say it is a big thing and I don't think it would be suitable for my bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back