Affixing a Shelf to a chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[Firstly - my apologies if this should be posted in another forum - the topic didn't seem to fit any of the other available forums...]

I would like to affix a shelf to the chimney breast in our master bedroom. It is a "floating shelf" (where the shelf fits over the bracket) and will be used for ornamental purposes (photo frames, a candle or 2 etc.)

Is it possible to do this? The chimney breast in question is for a working fireplace (although we haven't used it in the 18 months we have lived here.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You're not going to drill all the way through thr bricks and into the chimney, are you?

If the fireplace is used for a fire, it is better not to put anything on the chimneybreast that people will stand close to look at - e.g. a mirror - as this used to be a common cause of clothes catching fire, when open hearths were more popular.

Thanks for the reply...

JohnD said:
You're not going to drill all the way through thr bricks and into the chimney, are you?

Not intentionally :D

Related to this point - my house is a 1930's terraced house. How "deep" (forgive the layman's term!) are the bricks in the breast likely to be (so that I know how deep I can drill)

JohnD said:
If the fireplace is used for a fire, it is better not to put anything on the chimneybreast that people will stand close to look at - e.g. a mirror - as this used to be a common cause of clothes catching fire, when open hearths were more popular.

I wish to affix the shelf in our master bedroom - there is no fireplace in this room - the fireplace is in the living room which is directly below the bedrom

Almost certainly the chimney breast will be half a brick thick (four inches) with about half an inch of plaster on the room side.

There may be a sort of rendering on the inside of the chimney, which you don't want to drill into as it might crack, and (a) let bits of mortar fall down inside (b) allow fumes from the fire into the room, which will stain the wall but probably not kill you.

I usually reckon a one and a half inch hole and screw will give you enough depth into the brickwork (unless you are thinking of swinging on it, in which case use two-inch). If you push the plasplug slightly below the level of the plaster it will reduce the risk of the plaster cracking as you tighten the screw. All the weight will be carried by the brickwork anyway. Screws into walls need to be longer than into wood because of the thickness of the plaster.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Almost certainly the chimney breast will be half a brick thick (four inches) with about half an inch of plaster on the room side.

There may be a sort of rendering on the inside of the chimney, which you don't want to drill into as it might crack, and (a) let bits of mortar fall down inside (b) allow fumes from the fire into the room, which will stain the wall but probably not kill you.

I usually reckon a one and a half inch hole and screw will give you enough depth into the brickwork (unless you are thinking of swinging on it, in which case use two-inch). If you push the plasplug slightly below the level of the plaster it will reduce the risk of the plaster cracking as you tighten the screw. All the weight will be carried by the brickwork anyway. Screws into walls need to be longer than into wood because of the thickness of the plaster.

Again ... thanks for the input.

I'm also concerned because I have drilled into our walls in 3 different places now (coat hanger in the entrance hall, additinal plug socket and shelf in 3rd bedroom) and in all those instances, one of the holes I have drilled seems to have gone into morter or something else very easy to drill through (no brick dust) Have I just been unlucky in hitting the morter between the bricks on each occassion or is it something else.

I obviously don't want to attempt affixing the shelf only for it not to work out and then leave a gaping hole in our bedroom :LOL:

SWMBO would not be pleased!

1930'S House Yes, it's most likely just the mortar, especially if you've drilled several other holes in the nearby area of the wall, and found brick. It might even be lime mortar, which is particularly soft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back