Air Admittance valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post on this very helpfull site,
I had a soil stack running through the corner of my bathroom up through the roof space to outside.
My question is after cutting it down is there a minimum height that the air admittance valve needs to be ,I thought I read or heard somewhere that it should be above the level of any overflows (in this case it would be the sink)
Or does it not matter.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think it's 2' above the overspill level (rim of the basin) - but you may have to have an open vent pipe - check with your local building control as you are making chnges to the soil stack

Infidel said:
My question is after cutting it down is there a minimum height that the air admittance valve needs to be
I think you've acted hastily by removing a vent. Apart from not being a sensible thing to do, it's illegal without LABC approval.

An AAV is not a substitute for a roof-level vent.

As softus said - AAV's are only permitted on a secondary stack. The main vent stack must be of the open-open-above-roof-level type.

T'would be interested to know why the o/p cut the stack down.

Sponsored Links
T'would be interested to know why the o/p cut the stack down.
[/code]

Long and very annoying story, smell in one corner of kitchen internal soil pipe and no concrete lintel or seal over the exit hole in the cavity wall resulting in a crushed and broken pottery bend thus a build up.
I had to renew old grey plastic soil and thought I may be able to get away without messing about on the roof as well as the footings and getting space for a corner unit. It's no problem I would have had to renew any way as old grey pipe very brittle.
Thanks for the info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back