Air Brick - fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made a mistake - I blocked up a kitchen fireplace - but forgot the airbrick and now there is damp showing - I can fit an airbrick no probs but then I figured why not just drill about 7 or 8 1 inch holes and screw a adjustable grill over the top - an adjustable DIY grill. Can anyone see a problem with that... I think it will be quicker and easier than fitting an airbrick ???

Sponsored Links
Hi i would have not seen a problem with that if you drill enough holes and the best thing to do is to use a hit and miss cover that means open and close but do not forget when you block off the chimney brest its best to put a stopper pot in the chimney to stop birds and rain from getting down but it still allows the stack to be ventilated

We drilled holes and fitted air vents to 2 fireplaces a few months back and the amount of dust was shocking. Hope your fireplaces aren't as solidly sealed as ours! Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back