Air Brick to Nowhere! Developer fail or standard practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, expertise needed!

In the hunt for causes of heat loss, I've just discovered something odd.

Our 2007 brick-cavity house has two 9x9" exterior air bricks which have square, terracotta ducting going through both wall 'skins' and butt up roughly to the INTERIOR plasterboard wall. Inside it's dot'n'dab but the ducting doesn't appear to vent directly into the dot'n'dab cavity apart maybe from via the rough edges of the duct - see photo. This causes two REALLY cold patches on the interior wall and surely isn't standard practice.... is it?

The house is cavity wall construction with polystyrene bead cavity insulation from new (no signs of retrofit). It has everything else you'd expect... under-floor air bricks on the other exterior walls, weep vents over cavity trays, windows with trickle vents.

So is this standard practice or a design flaw?

Since these bricks can't be providing much ventilation to anywhere, can they be safely blocked up?

Thanks
1. View from inside the airbrick of the back of the interior plasterboard
[IMG]

Air brick exterior
[IMG]

Sponsored Links
surely isn't standard practice.... is it?
Expecting the average volume house builder tradesmonkey to understand the finer points of air tightness and insulated envelope is an exercise in futility I'm afraid

Are you saying the cavity is fully filled with beads everywhere else but here?

Are you saying the cavity is fully filled with beads everywhere else but here?
Yes the cavity is filled elsewhere but these air bricks are ducted through BOTH walls so the insulation is contained. What I'm concerned about is why the air bricks are even there other than to cause a cold spot on the internal plasterboard? Could they be filled?

Original house design had some massive log burner and building regs said it had to have X square metres of air inlet to the room maybe

Sponsored Links
That would be my guess - the vents are most likely air supply to gas or log burner. Or should have been!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back