Air in the radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? lady in distress

I have a potterton Flamingo RS40 boiler (located in kitchen)
I have a Elson Diamond (indirect) combination cylinder (upstairs airing cupboard)
The recirculating pump is also in the airing cupboard.

We can't find a header tank for the centre heating system.

There are no pipes from the airing cupboard going up to the loft.

We need to find the header tank to make sure its full and the pump isnt sucking air. We also need to add a cleaning agent to it.

Any thoughts welcome!

Emma

Sponsored Links
close marra its either on the side or inside buggered if i can remember now

asleep-045.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks people, the help is appriciated.

How do i get the flushing agent inside the F&E tank?

how do im make sure its full of water and no air is getting into the rads?

Be careful with flushing agents on an Elson diamond tank as the cold water tank within the Elson not only feeds the central heating top up but also feeds the hot water system.
I.E. the water in your hot taps has the potential to mix with water in the heating system.
I had to find out about these Elson tanks not long ago when I was powerflushing a system and they are a nightmare(in my unqualified opinion) :)

Be careful with flushing agents on an Elson diamond tank as the cold water tank within the Elson not only feeds the central heating top up but also feeds the hot water system.
What, in the name of all that is sacred and holy, are you talking about. :eek: :evil:

I.E. the water in your hot taps has the potential to mix with water in the heating system.
If that's true then I will eat my hat.

I had to find out about these Elson tanks not long ago when I was powerflushing a system and they are a nightmare(in my unqualified opinion) :)
Could you be more specific - what are the problems of nightmarish proportions?

what qualification do you need to do a powerflush?

The nightmare with Elson tanks,is the replacement costs, about £900 ,oh and the 90 on one of the estates we manage are all corroding badly.other than that they are ok.

@softus 1 cold water tank in the Elson,2 feed pipes at bottom of tank,1 feeds ch system for top up purposes,2nd is feed to hot water tank.

Was advised not to use chemicals in this tank and can confirm that I have seen water from the hot tank (which goes to taps) backfeeding into the cold water tank that feeds both ch and hot water when system was drained and filled.

Nightmare with them was that I capped off all the feeds in the cold water tank but only way to get powerflush working was to to install 2 temp gate valves to totally isolate the Elson from the ch circuit.

@twgas I meant in my unqualified (i.e. I am not a plumber) opinion. :)

@softus 1 cold water tank in the Elson,2 feed pipes at bottom of tank,1 feeds ch system for top up purposes,2nd is feed to hot water tank.
OK. I apologise. Clearly it's been far too long since I worked on an Elson, so am getting ready to nibble on my brim.

Was advised not to use chemicals in this tank and can confirm that I have seen water from the hot tank (which goes to taps) backfeeding into the cold water tank that feeds both ch and hot water when system was drained and filled.
Before I devour the entire headgear I'll have to refresh my memory of this product, because I seem to remember that they're not strictly primatic, but do have certain strangenesses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back