AIR LOCK ADVICE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I drained down my system to add some flush to it because all indicators suggested it was in need...( noisy boiler, kettling etc..not been done for at least 6 years)
On start up the upstairs rads are hot .downstairs cold.......switched off all upstairs rads........downstairs still cold....... there is only one drain....had to be replaced because of age ......system when drained not too bad.
Header tank cleaned and refilled.
Pump working in all 3 settings.Not noisy no bleed here!
Boiler worked well before drain down bit noisy.
Boiler on start up quieter working ok.
After rad experiment...heats up a bit then switches off AIR LOCK?
Any Ideas would be apprieciated!
All valves open and masses of hot water.
Run through archive and notthing seems to fit

Sponsored Links
Have you got any heat to a downstairs rad with every other rad turned off? Shut system bypass off aswell if it has one to try this

8) what size is the pipework, I had similar problems a couple of weeks ago with a microbore system. I ended up having to backfill with a hose through a radiator.

Shut off every rad but one, run system, stop system, wait to give air a chance to bubble up, repeat ad nausium. Stop, blead that rad, shut it off, same again for another until you've done the lot.

If that fails, Manually open any 2 port or 3 port valves, cap off open vent put a hose as far down the cold feed as you can and hold other end on float valve, push float valve down with your arm get a bit wet and force water down it's throat at pressure for a little while, release and wait for air to bubble back up through cold feed.

Go back to start, try again, if fails repeat.

Winsit Persewerantia.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for all your suggestions.....patience is definately a virtue.
Switched off and left to cool.
Bled all rads.
I ran the system all las night and switched off this morning.
Left to sit with no pump running but upstairs rads still hot.
got liters of air out.
running again this morning.... the feed to the downstairs rads are getting warmer as I speak.... might just have to keep running and bleeding!
pipework is old and some bits like to the pump look like 25 then drops off to 22 them main feeds to rads is 15. I had a look at back filling and knew that would be a definate possibility if nothing else failed. Boiler is very very quiet today too.

Rad in 'puter room VErY VERY hot..... might just have to go back and balance system again.

cheers guys and have a Happy Christmas!!!

You sure will have to balance it. There's a sticky post on balancing.

We do a lot of our work live so we don't have to drain down and overcome airlocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back