Airbricks in conservatory with solid floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've got a 1960's suspended floor bungalow. All properly vented underneath.
Someone put on a solid floored conservatory on the back. It's lower than the main house so it hasn't covered up the two airbricks that it goes over - they are visible at the floor height. However, what on earth are the numerous airbricks in the conservatory for? As far as I can tell the conservatory is built on a solid base filled with hardcore (?) and then the solid floor on top (guessing about the hardcore but it's four bricks to the DPC from the solid base). The airbricks are all around at just below the DPC and at just the same height as the floor. I've shoved a stick through them and they seem to hit the inner blockwork so are they only venting the cavity?

I assume it's standard practice but I have no knowledge of what it's done for and would like to understand it please?

many thanks,
john.

Sponsored Links
They could be venting the existing floor using periscope vent and pipe, through the solid floor. Probably much better than the flor void just venting into the conservatory itself.

Or the conservatory could be built on a block and beam base, which is basically a concrete suspended floor, but still requires venting beneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back