airlocked worcester 50/70 bosch oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently moved house and put oil in, delivery guy said it was airlocked and couldn't help me as he hadn't done one if this type before. I am determined to fix this myself as this may occur again and do not want to pay £30 to someone who just turns a screw to let some air out. Can anyone help? Again it's a Worcester Bosch 50/70 outdoor oil boiler. I've tried to download manual but it appears to just try the restart button or call someone. Button does not work. Many thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
£30!!!????

he average Intial Charge for an oil Engineer is more like £84 +Vat
we have to travel to you which is not cheap, we have to check for water in the fuel pipe sludge etc in the filters then vent the line, then combustion check the appliance - so not a 2 min job (when done propely)
Moral of the tale DON't RUN OUT OF OIL!!! it's not hard to regularly check your level it just takes a bit of self disipline!! ;)

Air locks are simple to relieve. Just look at your pipework from tank to boiler and decide which joint(s) you need to release to find it!!! Make sure you know where to turn the oil off whilst you wait for a competent person to put right any mistake you make. Seriously, if you are air locked, there are other considerations you need to be take into account as Boilerman states. Paying for your mistakes has an amazing effect on concentrating your mind on looking after the little things. How often do you run out of petrol in your car?

My oil tank is in a deep thicket so hard to keep an eye on but I take your point, although I have run out of petrol a couple of times. Thankyou for your replies, I will have another look out there in the morning. If i am not 100% I will not touch anything.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is. Would screw that I bleed air from be inside or outside the actual enclosed boiler unit? And I take it I turn the heating on from inside the house so that the oil is trying to push its way up and therefore I can drain the air from the pipe? All obvious to some but not me. :D

As burnerman says if tank is higher than boiler pump then oil will run downhill by gravity.
You need to open bleed valve/screw on oil pump to allow air to escape

Perhaps Ive read this wrong

But I dont think Worcester have ever made an external boiler that size or do you mean its in an outhouse/boiler house

If you have got an oil boiler that size then thats one big house youve got and Im sure paying somebody to come out and show you would not hurt to much .......... Longer you leave it today colder you will be tomorrow!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back