Alarm Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owner of my new house was obviously very concerned about security, (steel doors, laminated glass etc, 5+ security lights). However the alarm system is very cumbersome (every internal door needs to be closed, you have to enter through the back door, and the controller keypad is in the kitchen). It is also badly installed (wiring runs across the centre of the carpets, or pinched between door jambs).

I am having to rewire the electrics and re-decorate every room so i am thinking of ripping out the existing and installing a wired alarm system. quite a simple system, 3-4 passives, 3 door contacts and a shock sensor.

I would like to put the controller in the cellar, and just have a remote keypad near the front door (lcd would be nice).

i do not think i need a voice caller at the moment but it would be good if i could add one in the future. Likewise "remote access to disable", not necessary but might be a nice future addition.

I quite like the look of the honeywell galaxy flex system, but which model am i best getting and from which retailer? is the galaxy flex suitable for a DIY install (i have a good grasp of electrics/electronics). Do i need to buy new passives / contacts or can i re-use the existing?

any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What system do you have now, including panel and detectors?

You need a system that can handle all the detection devices you want and uses an lcd keypad.
the number of devices is a starting point to determine panel and then functionality, no point getting an 8 zone anel if you need 12 zones.

Is the area bad as it sounds like a small fort knox....

No it is quite a nice area, but i think the lady went a bit paranoid when her husband died.

the current system looks to be quite old and is called something like a "optimax", i can confirm when i get home. it only has 4 zones, of which only 3 are used. the first zone currently cover the rear door and kitchen, the second the rest of the downstairs and the third upstairs.

from what you say, does that mean that in modern systems each device has it's own zone?

The FX20 flex panel will most likely meet your needs. But, unless you want the touch screen keypad, then a G2-12 will have all the features you need. At £30 for the G2-12 panel, quite a difference in price too.

Sponsored Links
from what you say, does that mean that in modern systems each device has it's own zone?

Yes, that's correct. It helps tremendously as if the alarm is activated, you know which device set it off, and you can manually omit a single divice, for example if you have a dog in the lounge, you could disable that one sensor without affecting the rest of the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back