Alarm unresponsive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an ADT 9448+ main panel and a 9427 secondary by the garage door.
I needed to move 2 PIRs to different locations in the rooms. I disconnected them and refed the wires. As expected the alarm started to sound. When I went to the main panel to key in the code to mute the alarm I did not get any button beeps. The secondary panel is dark / not illuminated at all.
I connected both PIRs again after extending the wires but still no change.
The main panel has got the temper button and the power button displayed and does not take any inputs, the secondary pad is dead.

If the blank wires touch can I short circuit bits inside the alarm and blow anything?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can!

There are probably six wires (or cores) connected in the PIRs: a pair for tamper, a pair for the alarm and a pair for the 12V power. You can get away with shorting the first two pairs....

Now that it's broken, finish off the moving of the PIRs. Then open the panel and check, and replace (?), the AUX power fuse - it's a 20x5mm 1A fuse. You'll need to put the code in from time to time as you power up and close the panel and generate more tampers. Don't overtighten the screw 'cos you can strip the threads fairly easily. :eek:

9448s are pretty tough so, apart from the fuse, you shouldn't have broken anything permanently. ;)

Thanks EightyTwo. One of the fuses was gone. It looks happy again.

Hey Josh what is funny about ADT 9448+?

Sponsored Links
It's actually made by Scantronic, part of Cooper security. It's been rebranded by ADT. It's not exactly "feature rich"...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back