Alcove chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
9ABF554C-CB5A-4A8F-AE2B-9D9F06AD4750.jpeg
I am confused to what this is on top of the alcove, I am planning to expose the bricks and open up the chimney breast.
Does anyone know what that is if I can make it redundant.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
it could be boxing-in for old pipes that used to flow to an return from a back boiler in thefire back.
is ther similar boxing-in above the other alcove or down the side cheek of the other side?
a photo showin the cimney breast an fireplace might help more.

why do you want to open up the chimney breast?

it could be boxing-in for old pipes that used to flow to an return from a back boiler in thefire back.
is ther similar boxing-in above the other alcove or down the side cheek of the other side?

perhaps if he gives it a tap it will show if its solid or box wood

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

Thank you for your reply
I suspected old pipes as well because there is a water tank in the loft but I don’t think it’s in use because there is a combo boiler now in the house.
I want to add a wood burner hence why I what to expose the bricks but it will look awkward with that side on the alcove. I have taped and it does sound hard like bricks.

Attachments

• 838B162B-4703-4B9E-80EE-3B6069742529.jpeg
    838B162B-4703-4B9E-80EE-3B6069742529.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 167
thers a few recent threads about doin what you propose - why notread them an then do a search of the forum for similar threads?
then come back with questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back