Alpha CB28 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have client with above 18 month old boiler. She says she has difficulty in getting it to produce hot water, heating works fine. However, every time I turn up (four times now) it works fine. Diverter pin hits micro switch, pump runs, fan comes on, burner lights. I appreciate intermitant faults are difficult to diagnose, but has anybody else come across this problem?

Sponsored Links
The clip-on flow switch thingy can be intermittent.

Please ignore the above ChrisR, it's the horseshoe clip on the diverter valve. Mind went blank. Thanks anyway. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Its alright, I did not really understand that either.

Chris is preoccupied genning up for his forthcoming visit to an Ideal Response with an intermittent CH operation! As it works fine on DHW it a bit difficult to immagine what could be the problem apart from the cheap switches on the front panel.

Tony

Well it has a flow switch which clips on - sorry I'm not sure which word you wouldn't understand!

Not actually busy genning up on a Response. I did ask Agile to send back the boards he borrowed from me when he was unable to diagnose a fault on a Response! :eek: :eek:
Oh sorry he's always able to diagnose within seconds and never resorts to being a "parts changer" so surely it must have been someone else? (Maybe I shouldn't have said that or he'll stop helping me when I'm stuck.. :LOL: )

"My" Response was reportedly failing reliably so I went today and spend an age trying to make it go wrong. It was a broken conductor inside a piece of flex under a ty-wrap :evil: . Evidently you had to get exactly the right combination of swear words and physical abuse for it to show up.

(It could only be a Response, for the fault finding chart to tell you to check if the pcb is wet!!)

Its true that I was unable to diagnose a fault, however that turned out to be because there was no fault!

The problem was that the supply fuse to the fan PCB failed. As usual when testing I used a lower value fuse 1.6 A in this case in place of the original 3.2 A. The 1.6 A was blowing due to a massive overload and blew with a flash of white light.

Chris kindly sent me some boards from an old Response. I eventually noticed that the fuse on his boards was actually 4 A rather than 3.2 A. I concluded that they must have had a problem with the 3.2 A fuse blowing and uprated to 4 A to solve the problem.

Its difficult to measure initial inrush currents without a storage scope and the operation of fuses is an interesting although basic technology. Fuses blow in a timescale inversely proportional to the overload. I would say its questionable to use a fuse with such a high inrush as on that Response but having said that its not their most common failure point.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back