Alternative to creocote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fine it's very good at preserving the wood as it sinks into the fibres. Though is there a good longer lasting alternative to apply to the fence? A neighbour uses cuprinol but the wood is going after just 6 years.

Sponsored Links
dunno about creocote, but you might find out which Cuprinol he has been using. I find the solvent based Cuprinol shed and fence preserver to be very good. My fence hasn't been up 6 years yet (about 4), but looks pretty much like new. I'd be disappointed if it went within the next two years.

When you say the wood is going, I assume that you mean rotting.

The best wood to use on fences is tanalised timber, because it is guaranteed for 10 years and 15 in some cases.

I am surprised at the problems experienced with Cuprinol, but as suggested it may depend upon the type used. I have a shed which is now 14 years old and shows no signs of any rot.
I traeted it with the Cuprinol Wood preserver when I first got it and since then I have used the Ducksback product every three or 4 years.

My fence is of tanalised timber, and is now 23 years old and again shows no signs of rot. It again has been treated once with the Cuprinol Wood Preserver and later with the Shed and Fence product.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back