alternative to spindles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

my flat had nasty reinforced glass in the stiarcase where you'd normally have spindles. It had to go. I'm wondering what to replace it with and thought it might be nice to make a feature out of the stiarcase by having somehting other than spindles. I'm thinking either wooodwork radiating out from a centre point - like a 6 pronged star, or maybe using mdf and jigsawing out some sort of design . . .

anyone seen anyting like either of these or got any ideas?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry to sound like safety plod but don`t forget the 100mm gap regulation when designing your masterpiece. :p

also dependant on length between banisters the structure you are putting in will be require for strength and stability of the banister

100mm!! - whats going to fall through ???!!
a cat?

thanks for that - I had no idea.

the banister is very solid as it is with no spindles - 4x4 newel posts and a 12 by 2 running under the banister - I guess they had to make it strong originally to house that damn glass . . .

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about a wrought iron inset, where the glass was?
You can get these made up some places- I don't have a suppler address myself though.

hi denso13 - tht link doesn't seem to work for me, but very interested to see what they are . . .

You don't say how old the flat is - what architectural style.
But, how about a sunray design - like on 1930' radio sets.

I think you can buy them ready made for decking banisters, so you would need three.

Or you could have the"sun" at the bottom corner, and the rays going up the stairs.
Either cut it out of blockboard and paint it, or make the whole from timber with M & T joints on the end of the rays, socketted into the "sun".

That would be different!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back