Am I being unreasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours (who we get on with) want to build their extension which tapers up to the border with foundations on our side at a certain point (I have no problem with this nor their extension). I know roughly where they are going to build their extension, however they have not supplied any correct plans or details or correct/accurate measurements showing what their intentions are and where exactly the extension will meet the boundary (where they measured the boundary to), nor where the foundations will be on my side ...how deep etc. Basically, at this point I would have to trust their builders verbal agreements.

They have also not answered the question of gutter overhang at this point, which I do not want as it can cause future problems. At first they assured there would be no overhang, when I asked their builder directly, he said there would.... he then said he would ensure it was set back to avoid it.

I don’t mean to sound unreasonable, but after repeatedly requesting accurate plans, and their architect failing to produce them I am at my wits end.

They did submit a party wall notice (required if building to the boundary) which I made them aware of....but even in this the plans are the original incorrect ones with incorrect measurements (if measured it goes 1 metre onto our land). How can I agree to this?

There is now only two weeks to the build starts, I have suggested I decent (disagree) to the notice so that we get an agreed surveyor to formalise everything and ensure both sides do things correctly and everyone is happy......they did not take too kindly to this as they would have to foot the bill of £600+. Whilst they are aware their architect has not submitted correct plans and they are unhappy with him, they don’t seem to be doing anything about it (they should claim the £600 from him). I agreed that if he submits correct plans and answers all my concerns due to the ambiguity then of course...there is no need to get a surveyor....that was one week ago...and still nothing.

Their build begins in two weeks.....what do ...they seem to think I am being unreasonable, but all I want is clarity...

Any Advice?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are being perfectly reasonable to me. Just tell them all you want are accurate pans and you will be happy. Otherwise you are left with no option but to follow the party wall route. It's up to them after that.

Just tell them all you want are accurate pans and you will be happy.
frying-pan.jpg

Sounds like you are being perfectly reasonable to me. Just tell them all you want are accurate pans and you will be happy. Otherwise you are left with no option but to follow the party wall route. It's up to them after that.

Well thats is the last thing I did.....they said they would get onto him and give him a talking to the next day...1 week later still nothing....in the mean time they have started work on a different part of the property.... :( ...I have given them more than a week now to sort it....and in total the architecht/draughtsman has had 2 months to get it correct..if not more...

Sponsored Links
Time to mention that if they don't come up with accurate plans for you to agree with then building will stop dead when they come to trespass onto your land. That should concentrate their mind a bit.

No I don't think you are being unreasonable. Either the neighbour or their architect is being deliberately evasive (so what are their plans ?) or incompetent (how can you trust them ?).

If you haven't agreed, which I wouldn't without detailed and accurate drawings, then they have no rights to come onto or overhang your property. If they start digging your garden to put their foundations in, then that's criminal damage ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back