Am I getting A good price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked a local double glazing company who we used 2 years ago that did our whole house double glazing for a quote of :

2 windows approx 129x95 and a door for a detached garage in garden.

They quoted 1100 despite me mentioning that we spend 7000 with them 2 years ago and I wanted a good price.

Is this a good quote?

Sponsored Links
Why? So you feel like you've got a deal? I'd prefer the best honest price rather than someone who sticks a hundred on top just in case of the discount brigade.

Sponsored Links
They quoted 1100 despite me mentioning that we spend 7000 with them 2 years ago and I wanted a good price.
I've never quite understood why people think they are owed a discount for giving repeat business. Why should a supplier of services make less profit? :rolleyes:

I never knew asking for a small discount as a repeat customer was frowned upon. It's not like I'm asking it for free. Instead of answers requiring justification of why I want a 'good' price I was just hoping for some friendly advice if the price I got was decent.

Comparing a quote for £7000 for who knows how many and what size and spec windows and a quote for £1100 for who knows what spec windows is a useless comparison.

I bought some tyres a few years back for £800 for my lorry, today I got a quote from the same place for £100 for two for my car you'd think they'd give me a discount. Is that a good price?

See how daft that sounds.

Hey Sherlock, get of your backside, provide some useful information to the Forum, go get some other quotes from other suppliers, then come back for an opinion. :rolleyes: ;)

Comparing a quote for £7000 for who knows how many and what size and spec windows and a quote for £1100 for who knows what spec windows is a useless comparison.

I bought some tyres a few years back for £800 for my lorry, today I got a quote from the same place for £100 for two for my car you'd think they'd give me a discount. Is that a good price?

See how daft that sounds.

Hey Sherlock, get of your backside, provide some useful information to the Forum, go get some other quotes from other suppliers, then come back for an opinion. :rolleyes: ;)

I see your point, my apologies.

I'm getting quotes for upvc windows in a backroom detached garage. It currently has timber frame single paned glass and an old alumnium/metal door. This needs removing and new windows put in. I'm looking for something with a high energy rating hopefully because this room gets pretty cold and I'm hoping that the new windows will atleast increase or maintain some higher temperatures.

The company that did our double glazing before did the whole house upvc, bay windows, patio, 3 bedrooms, bathroom kitchen.

I've got 2 quotes so far, one which I've mentioned before of a company we have used and one of mybuilder.com which is 880 but he doesn't have any feedback.

I am cautious of using the website but I think if there are builders out there with good feedback and can provide some references then I don't see the harm of looking on the website. Is there anything else I should be cautious of when using someone? One guy is going to come round Monday and give another quote and I'm waiting on others.

What should I look out for as in getting someone to supply and fix.

Thank you

Well that's the chance you take, you used a company to do £7000 of work so they must have given you a quote you was happy with compared to others, you had the work done and must have been happy as you have gone back for a quote, the company from the Internet have given you a cheaper quote but have no feedback and you have seen no work they have done. Go get a quote from another local company and have a look at their product and work, then compare

Can any of your friends reccomend anyone they've used? To be honest if you are happy with the people you used before then go with them. Get a copy of a cheaper quote, go see them and say "look, I know you can't match this price but can we meet half way?"

Good luck :D

Well that's the chance you take, you used a company to do £7000 of work so they must have given you a quote you was happy with compared to others, you had the work done and must have been happy as you have gone back for a quote, the company from the Internet have given you a cheaper quote but have no feedback and you have seen no work they have done. Go get a quote from another local company and have a look at their product and work, then compare

It was my dad that used the company to do the house which is why I'm looking around a bit more this time. I guess if the price difference is not much I could just try and ask for a little better quote after receiving others or look at others work and take a punt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back