Amptec electric boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had always had a gas central heating system,but when we moved to a multi storey flat for health reasons,we decided to get an electric wet system installed,as the only heating in the flat was provided by 2 ancient storage heaters. That was 2 years ago,and we have been delighted with the system,and having switched to Economy 10,have found it economical. However, 3 months ago,it started cutting out and all the red alarm lights were flashing We re- set it at the meter and it would work for a day or so,and then go off again.sometimes it does it when it isn't even on. We have had the water and pressure levels checked and they are fine All the radiators are working ok,none needing bled.Problem is,we have tried contacting the plumbing firm who installed it,and after an initial reply and a promise to contact Amptec and get back to us,he is now not answering his phone.Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? If we knew we could buy a spare part and get someone to fit it for us.Unfortunately it only lasted about a week after the 2 year guarantee ran out. I may add that the first week we moved in after it had been installed,it didn't come on at all.Turned out it was the PCB,and he managed to get another and fit it and it has worked well ever since. I hope someone can give us some advice on this,as my husband is recovering from a heart attack,and is getting a bit stressed by it all.

Sponsored Links
Is a TRV the valve at the bottom of the radiators that adjusts the temperature? If so.then yes,they all have them. I don't know about the by pass but I will ask my son if he knows.Thanks for replying Reading the handbook it seems to be either the main pcb,the control PCB or the temperature control.We were advised not to use the shower at the same time as the heating was on,but that was due to the electricity supply coming in to the flat,and the shower is a 9KW and on a separate circuit

these systems need a bypass so that if the trv`s all shut then the heat has somewhere to go.

there are also 2 boards the main pcb and control pcb

see if your son can take a trv head off.should screw off try the hall or bathroom rad and run system make sure pump is running and all air is out of system and system pressure is ok.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend you call Heatrae yourself and see what they say.

They might well offer a fixed price repair and will no doubt have an engineer covering your area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back